Tuesday 9 October 2012

Think twice....make once!

It doesn't always pay to be eager, as I've found out recently. On my last post I was so delighted in how my rag rug had turned out...
........and was so eager to use up the left over scraps of fabrics which I now had...
Well my enthusiasm overtook everything else last weekend, and I set aside some time to work on making a hot water bottle cover. here's how the story goes.... First I made a pattern for the cover. I drew around the bottle with an inch or so to spare around edges. I made the pattern from lining paper. I made up the fabric using my scraps. This was so much fun. For the base fabric I used a pillow, ( the filling had been used to make a garden chair cushion) which I cut into two pieces. Using one of the pieces I filled it almost completely with fabric scraps....
...The great thing is, the more I "worked" the pieces into the base fabric the more dense it became. Also, with it being cotton, where I'd used the thinner pieces the thicker ones began to show through. It was looking good, and the reverse side was great too....
...and it felt quite fleecy. Once the piece was complete I cut the pattern pieces out....
...It sewed together like a dream. Where is the picture of the finished article? I hear some say! Well cleverclogs here,( for want of a better word) whilst viewing my pictures on the camera has just manages to delete two frames. Why did I not upload them onto the laptop first heaven knows! So I've lost them in Digiland" now, but I shall have to retake the picture of my finished hot water bottle cover and post it later. But, have no fear because " cleverclogs" has struck again, with an even bigger gaffe this time. Rewind, back to the making of the cover pattern. It would be wise to make sure that you are making a pattern for the correct hot water bottle. because I made a pattern for one which is now defunct. The one I used had perished around the neck seam and was totally useless. I was going to cut some small pieces from the old bottle and attach them to the base of a large plant pot to protect the floor. I should have cut it up and just stored the pieces. Why didn't I realise it at the time!! Anyway my new hot water bottle is wider than the old one by almost an inch. Why they aren't all the same size I don't know. So from making the wrong pieces, deleting pictures from the camera, I'm hoping that today I will be able to get things right without giving myself to much grief and more work. I shall concentrate on the housework and quietly sit and knit later on in the evening, ( hopefully correctly) I do have two birthday cards to make for the weekend. I've got it planned what my themes are. One is for a friend who is a musician. He's going to be 50. The card will be a sort of music review paper, which means using my Serif software. I'm not even going to attempt it today. I have made notes on what I want to make and just hope that I can put it all together correctly. What shall I put it down to, age, or over enthusiasm?

No comments:

Post a Comment