Saturday 21 April 2012

Body parts!

I'm working on another knitted project. It's actually a vintage pattern from the late 60s. The problem with many of these old patterns is that there were mistakes in them. I remember in the early 70s buying a pattern for a jacket, and the pattern was completely different to the one in the picture. So I adapted the pattern and it turned out really nice. In fact I was wearing that navy jacket for years!! Anyway, this one is for a knitted geisha doll....
...the picture does it no justice does it! I've had this pattern for years and have always meant to knit it up to see if it turned out better that the picture. Well, here's my findings so far. Firstly, there are too many pieces to knit. I know these patterns were made as quick makes for fairs and fete stalls etc, but I can see this putting people off if they haven't been knitting very long.....
.....the picture looks really odd I doesn't it! As you can see, the head looks way too big, but I'm hoping that once the hair and features are in place it will be more in keeping with the body. The dress is also made up of too many pieces....
.....the purple panel is only pinned to the main piece at them moment, and the pattern gives instructions to crochet edges on sleeves, side and hem. Well, I shan't be doing that because I have something else in mind. But once this one is complete I shall remake this doll to my own pattern. There will be less pieces to begin with! ...... I've been sorting my collection of knitting patterns recently and I have far too many. I haven't even used some of them. Here are a selection. If you would like any or all of them please email me, I'll be happy to put them in the post to you, at no cost. I'm not selling them they are free to anyone who wants them.
.......
......
........
.......
........
.......
........
.........
....... Please contact me if you are interested. I have some birthday cards to make this week, so I'll be back to stamping and colouring. I'm also want to start on a project using some drinks cans , Sizzix dies and some home made alcohol inks. I have all my ingredients ready to make the inks, I'm just waiting on the arrival of the plastic dropper bottles. But I shan't be idle whilst I'm waiting for the postman to arrive, I may even be able to get out into the garden, once the showers have subsided!!

No comments:

Post a Comment